Maggie Gyllenhaal at the World Premiere of Nanny McPhee And The Big Bang

Maggie Gyllenhaal & Emma Thompson attending the World Premiere of "Nanny McPhee And The Big Bang" held at the
Odeon West End on March 24, 2010 in London.


Maggie Gyllenhaal has to "translate" what people say when she comes to England.

"The US actress appeared in London for the premiere of 'Nanny McPhee And The Big Bang' last night (24.03.10) and told how, despite spending lots of time in the UK, she still has trouble understanding the local people.
Peter Sarsgaard and Carey Mulligan in "An Education" (2009).

Maggie - who is married to American actor Peter Sarsgaard - told BANG Showbiz: "You know I have been here so much we shot 'The Dark Knight' here, my husband shot 'An Education' here, but I think it's funny; we speak the same language and so many things are similar about New York and London but culturally there are huge differences.
"I have to do a lot of translating, 'what do they mean by that?' But I love London, like, love it."

Maggie added she is also wary of how she speaks too, as some American terms, such as 'fannypack', and 'pants' have a different meaning in England - with the former having rude connotations and the latter referring to underwear rather than trousers.

She added: "London surprises me and continues to surprise me - and when I'm here, I'm always a little on guard of what I say, exactly for that reason."Emma Thompson, who stars as the titular nanny character, also attended the premiere.
Maggie plays Mrs. Docherty - the mother of a set of unruly children, who is looking after the family farm while her husband is away - in 'Nanny McPhee And The Big Bang', which is released in Europe from Friday (26.03.10). Source: www.contactmusic.com