Kristen Stewart brilliant as Joan Jett

Kristen Stewart with Robert Pattinson in "Twilight: New Moon".

"Those of you with a Twilight astigmatism won’t like reading this, but here it is anyway: Kristen Stewart is a modern day James Dean. She gives the kind of performance in The Runaways that hasn’t been seen on screen since his death. The Runaways is her Rebel Without a Cause and what’s more that disaffected, rebellious persona seems to be one which, as it did with Dean, carries over into her real life. In person Stewart is every bit as tousled and seemingly disaffected as she is playing a rock and roll icon on screen. She’s absolutely brilliant as Joan Jett, it's the role she was born to play, and yet this is not her movie.

Kristen Stewart plays Joan Jett in "The Runaways".

Instead The Runaways is really the story of Cherie Currie. Played by Dakota Fanning she’s a 15-year-old girl from a broken home who’s recruited for the band mostly because she has the right look.
Dakota Fanning with Cherie Currie.

Fanning gives the kind of adult performance we’ve never really seen from her before and she’s absolutely perfect, deftly capturing the desperate innocence of Currie as she spirals down into a world that’s clearly more than she can handle. But then in the background there’s always Jett, even at her most drugged out clearly in control and breathing rock and roll. Curry, who never seemed to like rock music all that much in the first place, latches on to her like a port in a storm, but Joan is too busy breathing rock n’ roll to help. - Review by Josh Tyler
Source: www.cinemablend.com

Kristen Stewart And Dakota Fanning At The SXSW Festival In Austin (03/18/10)

Cinematical: Do you feel a sense of responsibility or do you need to feel a sense of responsibility to the young viewers that might be seeing this film? How do you make sure that your portrayal of a character is as authentic as possible and yet doesn't present something that might negatively influence impressionable audiences?
Fanning: I think this is a different thing because it's a real life, a real story, and this happened. So I don't know if you can really think about people coming to see it because they're choosing to come to see something that's a difficult time in their life, and that's why there are ratings. I mean, maybe you can think about it when it's an original screenplay or something, but it's based on actual events, and if you're not being authentic to that then you might as well not make the film, I feel like.
Stewart: and if you're looking at details that make these women bad examples for people, then you're not going to ever choose the right role model.
Cinematical: Ultimately why do you think this story is important, and why was it important for this story to be told now?
Stewart: I think this would always be sort of topical just because, for one thing, I didn't know about The Runaways, neither did Dakota, and I don't think a lot of people our age do. Why is it relevant right now? Because, well, I was really inspired by it; we don't face the things that they faced at that time, so to know that things are a little different now. So to know that maybe they were a help in that is an interesting thing, and just to see a different perspective on an adolescent girl's life is probably interesting for any young girl. And, people that age then are now 50, Joan's age, and it's cool for them to see that too so that now people who watch movies can see their childhood or whatever on screen". Source: www.cinematical.com



Kristen Stewart And Dakota Fanning Get The SXSW Experience.

Robert Pattinson - "New Moon" Test Screen.

Her review of Robert Pattinson in Remember Me.
"I think he's bold and different. It wasn't an easy character to play. I thought he was really good in it."
Those diehard Twilight fans.
"I've never been so fanatical about something. I never had that thing that I'm obsessed with. But, I've followed things for years like bands and movies and actors. I completely get what they're feeling. Personally, it's just so cool for me to be able to go back and follow a character for so long in successive movies. The fact that fans love them helps give me the chance."
Dakota Fanning as Lacy in "Cutlass".Kristen Stewart as young Robin in short film "Cutlass" (2007).

As for playing a string of disaffected teens.
"It's hard to generalize about the characters that I've played because they all have their separate issues. I don't know what types of characters, especially if they're young girls, who wouldn't be considered disaffected. I think to play a completely mindless happy person would be mindless and happy, but boring. I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I'm just playing parts that speak to me. The only thing I would never do is a big explosion movie. I couldn't handle it. I would totally break down." Source: www.parade.com


An interview with writer-director of The Runaways, Floria Sigismondi.


Kristen surprised her fans when showing up at The Runaways Austin screening at around 7:30 at Drafthouse S Lamar with director Floria Sigismondi.